showing 1 - 10 of 28 news
BASEBALL 10-16-14 NEWS
- 2014 postseason schedule: Start times, TV listings
- Royals complete ALCS sweep, reach World Series
- Giants rally to down Cardinals, take 3-1 NLCS lead
- Royals owner says GM Moore is 'absolutely' staying
- Better equipped to advance: Cards or Giants?
- WATCH NOW Royals fan scares local reporter
- Despite Friedman's exit, Maddon staying with Rays
- Royals' Guthrie sorry over 'O's Ain't Royal' T-shirt
- Selig says he has no regrets on commissioner job
- Report: Braves interim GM Hart rejects full-time offer
- Rangers decline $13.5M option on OF Rios for '15
- WATCH NOW Moustakas' great catch in K.C. stands
- Dodgers hire Friedman as president of baseball ops
- AL, NLCS predictions: SI's experts make their picks
- 2014 playoff previews: Team capsules and analysis
BASEBALL 9-25-14 NEWS
- Division and wild-card standings as of September 25
- Kershaw, Dodgers sink Giants to clinch NL West title
- SI cover: Retiring Jeter talks career and personal life
- Tigers defeat White Sox, secure spot in postseason
- Twins' Hughes sets single-season K/BB ratio record
- Orioles top Yankees, eliminate NY from postseason
- Seattle falls in fifth straight game, fading fast in WC
- Cubs' Arrieta downs Cards with arm, two-run triple
- Angels defeat Athletics, close in on AL's best record
- Day after earning playoff berth, Pirates fall to Braves
- Olbermann: Derek Jeter not among 10 best Yankees
- Mets shutting down rookie deGrom before final start
- Will Gonzalez follow GM Wren out door in Atlanta?
- LaRoche doesn't expect to return to Nationals in '15
- How Dodgers' Haren made $10.5M on one pitch
07:41 AM ET 06.12 | In a way, the Dodgers, who dropped a 5-0 loss to the Reds, lost twice Wednesday night. Hanley Ramirez walked in [the clubhouse], his postgame routine delayed by a round of treatment on his right shoulder. Ramirez could not throw without discomfort Wednesday. The Dodgers scratched him from the lineup after the shoulder stiffened during batting practice, Manager Don Mattingly said, and they do not anticipate he will play Thursday. ... A lingering injury to Ramirez would be a much bigger story. For now, the Dodgers list his status as day to day and describe the injury as an irritation in the shoulder joint. He can swing a bat, and he did pinch-hit Wednesday, but he cannot throw without soreness. Mattingly said he had not heard about the condition before Wednesday.
07:40 AM ET 06.05 | After Wednesday evening's Yankees game,Derek Jeter fielded a handful of questions about Don Zimmer. But the Captain, who never wears his emotions on his sleeve, cut off the interview after a couple minutes when he began to get choked up over the loss of his longtime friend. "That's a tough one to swallow," Jeter said after the Yankees' 7-4 loss to the A's. ... "Everyone knows how much Zim has meant, not only to our organization, but to baseball as a whole. Your thoughts and prayers go out to his family. That's tough news. I found out halfway through the game. That's a rough one." "He's someone that taught me a lot about the game," Jeter said. "He's been around and he's pretty much seen everything. His stories, his experiences, he was close to my family and good to my family. We'll miss him."
07:48 AM ET 05.22 | Considering Prince Fielder's disappointing start, one could reasonably assume the Rangers could turn things around. Still, it would be foolish for the Rangers to maintain the status quo. They haven't won a postseason game since David Freese tripled over Nelson Cruz's outstretched glove three years ago, and that drought is going to continue. Once the Rangers fall out of the race, they can listen to offers for potential 2014-15 free agents on the roster, such as Alex Rios, Joakim Soria,Geovany Soto, Colby Lewis, Jason Frasor and Neal Cotts. For a deadline 'seller' --???? which the Rangers haven't been for several years -- ????that's standard practice. But what about the left side of their infield -- third baseman Adrian Beltre and shortstop Elvis Andrus?